ONGOING MAINTENANCE FOR EMPIRE ZOYSIA SOD
Zoysia is a tough, hardy turf grass for full sun or moderate shade that once established, produces a beautiful lifetime lawn or landscape.
Mowing: Mowing is a critical to a healthy lawn:
- Maintain EMPIRE at 1-2″(1″ is optimal) with rotary mowers.
- Mow every 7-10 days during the active growing season.
- During cooler weather mow every 10-14 days, or as needed.
- Never cut more than 1/3 of the total length of the blade at any one mowing.
- Clippings can provide valuable nutrients back into the grass. Bagging of clippings is not usually necessary if mowing schedule is maintained.
Insecticides: Apply insecticide as needed to reduce stress on your lawn:
- Always read and follow label directions carefully for any insecticide applications.
- Walk your yard regularly and be aware of seasonal pests like billbugs, armyworms, webworm and grubs.
- Early identification and treatment of insect problems minimizes the application amount and damage to your grass.
- Control armyworms and webworms with Sevin®, Orthene®, Diazinon® or Permethrin-based products.
- Control billbugs with Sevin® (adults), Talstar® (adults), DeltaGuard® (adults), Merit® (larval/grub form), Mach2® (larval/grub form).
- If you are unsure of label instructions consult with the retailer where you purchased your insecticide.
Herbicides: Reduce your weeds through proper mowing, irrigation and fertilization of EMPIRE Zoysia. If a weed problem persists:
- Always read and follow label directions carefully for any herbicide application.
- Improper use of herbicides can severely damage or kill EMPIRE.
- Walk your yard regularly and be aware of seasonal weeds.
- Early identification and treatment of weed problems minimizes the application amount and damage to your grass.
- EMPIRE is tolerant of most commonly used herbicides but always read the label.
- If you are unsure of label instructions consult with the retailer where you purchased your herbicide.
Fungicides: EMPIRE Zoysia grass has shown resistance to most fungal problems. Fungicides should be used only as needed:
- Always read and follow label directions carefully for any fungicide application.
- Walk your yard regularly and be aware of unusual symptoms of disease.
- Early identification and treatment of disease minimizes the application amount and damage to your grass.
- If predictable seasonal problems are expected, consider a broad-spectrum fungicide application.
- If you are unsure of label instructions consult with the retailer where you purchased your fungicide.
Irrigation: Established EMPIRE exhibits very good drought tolerance however, like all turf grass, requires regular irrigation for long term health and beauty
- Watering requirements are greatly dependent on soil type, season, geography and other factors.
- Ensure irrigation systems are working properly and covering all areas sodded with EMPIRE.
- Walk your yard regularly and be aware of signs of wilting that would show irrigation is needed.
- Shaded areas and heavy soils require less water than full-sun areas and sandy soils.
- Encourage deep root growth by watering until the soil is moist to a depth of 3”, shallow watering will result in a shallow root system.
- Infrequent deep watering maximizes drought resistance and tolerance.
- Visit our Tips on Watering Your Lawn video.
Fertilizing: Properly fertilizing your lawn will encourage health and reduce disease and insect in your EMPIRE yard:
- Test your soil to understand your soil needs and fertilizing requirements.
- EMPIRE generally requires three fertilizer applications per year: spring, summer and fall.
- Walk your yard regularly and take notice when the yard requires fertilizing.
- Take care to apply the correct amount and type of fertilizer.
- Reduce nitrogen rates to avoid disease and insect inducing growth flushes.
- Use iron sources to improve color and limit growth surges.
- Higher Nitrogen rates should only be applied in the spring or for injury recovery of EMPIRE.
- Apply balanced fertilizers with lower rates of Nitrogen in the summer and fall.